I meant to regurgitate this last week when I found it while "sweeping through Microsoft coverage." CNET News.com reports that "researchers" at the University of Texas-Austin have identified 237 reasons why people have sex. The list is boiled down to four major factors --physical, goal-based, emotional and insecurity-based.
According to the study, "Men showed significantly greater endorsement of having sex due to physical reasons...and simply because the opportunity presented itself. Men more than women reported having sex as a way to improve their social status. Finally, men exceeded women on endorsing a variety of utilitarian reasons for sex."
Women exceeded men on only three of the 237 reasons: "I wanted to feel feminine"; "I wanted to express my love for the person"; "I realized that I was in love."
Among the reasons that subjects gave for why they had sex:
- I wanted to feel closer to God.
- I wanted to get a promotion.
- I wanted to feel connected.
- I wanted to keep my partner from straying.
- I wanted to have a baby.
- I wanted to give someone else a sexually transmitted disease.
- I wanted the attention.
- I wanted to break up a rival's relationship.
- It seemed like good exercise.
- I wanted to defy my parents.
- I wanted to change the topic of conversation
- The person was famous and I wanted to be able to say I had sex with him/her.
- I wanted to end the relationship.
- I wanted to communicate at a "deeper" level.
- My partner kept insisting.
- I was bored.
Strangely not listed: "I met a guy named Paolo."