We're talking about social media participation in class and are looking at Charlene Li and Josh Bernoff's Groundswell text for reference.
This is a good time to look at the 90-9-1 theory for social media communication.
- 90% of users are "lurkers" (i.e. they read or browse but don't contribute)
- 9% of users contribute from time to time, but other priorities dominate their time
- 1% of users participate very often and account for most of the contributions
Considering this blog attracts the attention of nearly 100 people during the early weekdays, we can apply the 90-9-1 theory to WIB quite easily.
- 90 of you are primarily lurkers. (Mom's coworkers, Dorde, Poem, Nonna, Amber, etc.)
- 9 of you contribute from time to time. (Jeanna, Anna, Cari, Scott, Sergio, Nina, Amanda, Matt Wood, Gramps)
- 1 person participates very often. (Me)
The theory rings true, don't you think?